Notifications
Clear all

How can I ask questions?

Alex Li Trisoglio
(@alexlitrisoglio)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Please ask Questions using the link at the top of the Introduction page.

madmax
(@madmax)

Vaguely I recall a talk from Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche where he commented (if I remember correctly) that if you are able to have a high school level understanding of algebra than you are capable of grasping Madhyamaka. I think he also mentioned that it is possible to experience a certain state of bliss from that understanding. 

Many years ago I had an opportunity to study the root text, Mulamadhyamakakarika with a khenpo at Chokyi Nyima's shedra program. And then later also Karl Brunnholzl's book Centre of the Sunlit Sky. I was a very bad student and not in the right state of mind at the time. But I did have one or two brief states of feeling some sort of bliss while going through the verses. However most of the time I am ashamed to admit that the text just seemed repetitive and pedantic. 

My question is why you think it might be difficult, or perceived to be difficult. Is there a barrier to entry? Is there something lost in translation? I can imagine getting absorbed in solving a math problem. But my memories of madhyamaka study were not quite as engaging. Why is that?

It's not a burning question on my mind. I just randomly thought of posing the question here after reading Bryan Johnson's article Zeroth Principles Thinking

ReplyQuote
madmax
(@madmax)

Also, any thoughts on doing a course on Gendun Chopel's commentary?

ReplyQuote
Share: