Notifications
Clear all

What are your reflections on the teachings so far?

Alex Li Trisoglio
(@alexlitrisoglio)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

If you have had the opportunity to watch/listen to the teachings, please share your reflections and insights with others here. We would love to start a conversation where we can support each other's learning, growth and practice.

Thank you!

Alex

Dechen liked
mescanada
(@mescanada)

Hi everyone,

It's Michelle, and i wanted to say that I really appreciated the teaching on Sunday.  It was wonderful to hear about the basis of Buddhism, and all of the different viewpoints and questions everyone brought.  I would be very interested to further pursue how to include this in our daily practice.  For example,  I have taken courses where there is a reflection and meditation every day on certain topics.  However, when I do not have time for this due to work, I would love to hear what people do for a short practice.  Refuge, then breath meditation? or mantras? or open awareness?  I find that I jump around and I am sure that I would be better served to stick with a practice for a certain length of time.

It was wonderful to hear about having the community be a basis for spiritual friends.  My family and most of my friends are not Buddhist, and are not interested in hearing about the latest book I am reading, the talk I listened to etc, so I would love to discuss in this forum. I may try to bring general concepts to conversations, but it is not the same. The temple that I have been going to has been closed due to Covid, and is now being renovated so in person is not possible, and Zoom is not all the time.

And, ngondro- at what point in one's practice should we start?  I have heard differing opinions offered by teachers and would like to hear from people who have started/completed/ etc?

Hope everyone has a good week, and I look forward to learning from all of you,

Thank you!

Michelle

Aashima liked
ReplyQuote
TiinaMW
(@tiinamw)

Tashi delek and hi all,

Many kind thanks to Alex, it felt like I was reading DJKR's own words (could not join the online one, so I read the transcript), so this made me very happy.

As some kind of Buddhist practitioner and DJKR's student, who is too much occupied in her academic career and everyday life, I really appreciate this opportunity to once again absorb myself in the healing waters of dharma. 

I have previously visited Bhutan yearly but now, due to corona, this has not been possible. However, I am immensely thankful for all the online opportunities that have emerged these past two years, to meet with teachers and the sangha worldwide. 

This strengthens everybody's practice and understanding. 

I could ask one question about the slightly complicated (I think) notion of "lord, god"/source of all emanations in Buddhism:

If "the blue Buddha sky" is considered the source of all compassionate emanations of deities, yidams, bodhisattvas and other buddha beings, can we call this sky "Bhagavan", the source of all etc. (not god as a person, as we see persons or God in a mundane way, but more as an "abstract" concept, beyond our comprehension)? My apologies in case of poor choice of English words, not my mother tongue.

Thank you and wishing you all happy studies, Tiina 

ReplyQuote
Shauna
(@shauna)

I wanted to say thank you for the transcript. Very helpful to review again and I appreciate the reflection.

ReplyQuote
Dechen
(@dechen)

Thank you very much for the teaching, unable to attend it online due to the time difference and work commitment, having it on youtube helps a lot 🙏🏽. I do not know how to put this is a right way but my concern is that as much as our values and principles are important in our practice it then means we are holding onto believes and concepts which means we are grasping could you please explain. Thank you 

ReplyQuote
anna
 anna
(@anna)

I've just watched week 1 on YouTube. To me it was unlike any other Dharma teaching I have attended. It came purely from a western mind that seeks to understand the Buddhist path. That is so wonderful. I have attended a lot of teachings and done a lot of reading but most are by "Eastern" teachers or students who are trying to explain eastern teachings. None have come from the Western perspective of seeking and then engaging with the teachings in that way. My heart was truly opened with gratitude.

ReplyQuote
Aashima
(@aashima)

Hi @mescanada

I practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, it's a tradition under Mahayana branch of Buddhism.

In this, we have a proactive internationally renowed community of practitioners - www.sokaglobal.org

You might want to check this out.

ReplyQuote
Aashima
(@aashima)

Hi Alex,

Really grateful for knowing the broader Buddhist perspectives from someone living in the west.

Though english is my mother tongue, I found it little difficult to understand the accent clearly. Would be helpful if you can share a transcript for this week and/or allow switching on the Youtube captions from next time onwards.

I resonated with the three pillars of Buddhism - Buddha, Dharma & Sangha. In addition, resonated with four thoughts to turn mind away from sorrow - Appreciate the opportunity to hear to teachings, Law of Impermanence, sorrow of wealthy life & Power of action/Karma.

I want to understand the three poisons in depth. Could you please share some credible content on them? 😊

I am looking forward to practice - What happens when there is no self, just the awareness.. Thanks for bringing this up.

I am looking forward to learn how Buddhism evolved into different schools of thoughts and hence differences & interlinkages among these schools of thought. Can you please consider this for next sessions? 😊

With Gratitude,

Aashima

🙏

ReplyQuote
Alex Li Trisoglio
(@alexlitrisoglio)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@aashima Hello Aashima, Thanks for your feedback. There is a transcript available - please see the Week 1 page. Unfortunately YouTube will only generate live captions for channels with more than 1,000 subscribers. We're currently at 188. Best, Alex

Aashima liked
ReplyQuote
mescanada
(@mescanada)

@aashima Thank you very much! I appreciate that-although I feel I am better to continue with current schedules and teachings I have.  Too many ways to reach the mountain makes one go in circles! I am always open to discussion how to integrate and apply what we each have learned. Thank you again,

Aashima liked
ReplyQuote
Eugene
(@eugene)

I am grateful for all the generosity in the many sense, the explanation given these two weeks , the practice that are in the page.

All the Teachings I have had received take a new color, although as you said at the begging seems to be randomly, now a panoramic view is open Like when we say Aha, this is as it is 🙂

Thank you for all
see you on the third week

ReplyQuote
Share: